Wednesday 19 October 2011

Using material things of this world

I believe that material things - such as houses, cars, creaturely comforts, good food, fat salaries - will not give lasting satisfaction. I learnt this at a very young age. When my mum bought me a toy, it usually satisfied me for a short time - and soon i will be looking for something better and more fun. I guess this is true for adults too. Many of us never seemed satisfied with our pay packet, the types of houses we live in ... we want more. This appetite for material things will only spiral ever bigger with every temporary fulfillment but will remain insatiable. I believe that when God creates us, He leaves within our souls a spiritual longing which material things can never satisfy. Thus, with respect to material things, more is not always better. It is more important to learn contentment with them than to desire more and more ...

But how do I impart this contentment in my children? They live in a world that is materialistic and consumeristic. The people around them look so happy with the new dress and the fancy electronic gadgets in their hands. It is easy for them to believe that by having those same things that others crave for, they will naturally be happy too.

Certainly, it can't be done by denying our children of all requests for material things. I dont think the point is just to be frugal.  Neither is it about feeling guilty when we enjoy them. rather, the message i really want to send consistently to my children is, "it is nice to enjoy material things - of course, when we can afford it. But we must watch against a tendency to go for one dress after another, one gadget to follow-up the first, one upgrade after another ... because this kind of lifestyle signals a fundamental problem: that we are seeking to find satisfaction primarily in possessing material things."

Actually, between the last paragraph and this line, there was a time gap of a few days.  I went away for a few days to think about this issue.  It dawned on me that the strongest message that our children receive from us is not from what we say to them about these things; I think it is from our actual priorities we make as parents in our daily lives.  Surely, if I display to them every bit a chaser of material satisfaction, then I cannot expect my children not to do the same? 

What do my children see about me?  That I was most satisfied when our new car arrived? That i was  jumping with glee when the ipad was delivered to me? Or, do they see satisfaction in my face (and soul) when my wife gives me hug when I return home? A quiet smile when I finish a prayer?

No comments:

Post a Comment